Actually I wasn't. And this got me thinking. (As well as did my friend, Nichole, who has been "hopping" into some of her high school classmates) I'm the same person I was then, from the top of my color-of-the-week head to the bottom of my size 8 feet (okay, they're really 9 but I only wear flip-flops these days so it doesn't matter much, does it? And for the record, they used to be an eight!). . . So I'm thinking about it and there's definitely been very little change in my life from that time. I mean sure, I've gotten married and had some kids, but the inside me is still the same. . .
But now, I almost think I could pass for "cool" (Well, at the very, very least, I'm not a complete loser.)
1) I'm crafty - I sew, I crochet, I scrapbook, I can do floral arrangements, I can take a reasonably good picture, I know how to make hairbows and quilts. . . somehow when you're 16 years old and sewing on a Friday night, that's not cool.
2) I'm outspoken - I say what I mean, I say how I feel. I'm a matter of fact, don't beat around the bush kinda gal. I like what I like, and I don't what I don't. This is not to say that I don't know when to keep my trap shut; however, I can specifically recall more than one occassion where it was very "uncool" of me to say pretty much anything not related to: clothes/shoes/make-up/boyfriend/guess who totally asked who out?
3) I don't do Peer pressure- I'm not sure if I even think it really exists. (My husband assures me it does) for the simple matter of , I didn't do anything I didn't want to do. I didn't sneak out to parties, I don't smoke, I don't drink, (never even had the inclination!) I've never done anything I didn't want to do. I've always been able to say no and mean no. And I've never had anyone question that. . .
4) I'm organized - In a compulsive, sort of, "really? are you kidding me?" kind of way. At my house, I have a black 3-ringed binder entitled "The Bingham Family Control Journal" It lists exactly how I clean my home. It's divided into chapters and zones and lists. It has sub-headings and lists point by point, each item to be dealt with. . . I have phone numbers for the police, the fire department, poison control, and such. I also have a 10 week menu plan. With menu cards, and grocery lists, and a recipe file. . .Oh yeah, and I like my movies alphabetized.
5)I'm funny - I'll admit it, I think I'm stinkin' hilarious! And not in the obvious sort of way. I think toilet humor is gross. I don't like in your face, crass humor. I enjoy the more subtle variety. I do enjoy the laugh out loud, roll on the floor, side-splitting, can you believe this actually happened to me? story. I get sarcasm, wit, and dry humor. I love it. I do it. I'm funny like THAT.
6) I do my homework- always have, always will. I still have nights when I'm up until 2 am working on something, be it a Sunday-school lesson, a halloween costume, or whatever. I don't like to be unprepared. And what's more? I enjoy it. (I think this may qualify me as a d-o-r-k?)
7) I'm responsible - I'm prompt. I drive the speed limit. I always buckle up. I have dinner on the table at 6 every evening (partly due to my aforementioned OCD). I watch my budget. I can be counted on. In high school, my parents always knew who I was with and when I was going to be home. I'd leave them phone numbers, and if the plans changed, I would (gasp!) call them.
8) I like my mom - and my dad. I think they're great. They are FUN! To talk to, to banter with, to go shopping with, or whatever. I love them, but what's more is that I actually do in fact really really like them. And I like my brother and sisters. They're my best friends.
I'm sure there's a few more things that could make this list. But you see what I'm saying? Same person, different level of "cool" It just makes me wonder what the actual "cool" people from high school are doing now?